Many people worldwide are fighting to keep their double chins at bay. The popularity of these procedures has recently led to a rise in questions and concerns about this cosmetic surgery practice, including whether or not double chin procedures are safe.
More people than ever before want to remove excess flesh and fat from their faces via double chin procedures, but the long-term effects remain unknown. It has prompted many individuals who are considering having the procedure done to wonder whether they should take the plunge or not. The best way to ensure that you are undergoing the safest double chin procedure is to work with a trained professional who has a great deal of experience performing the procedure.
However, let’s understand what a double chin is and how to remove it, then we can decide whether it is right for you.
What Leads To A Double Chin?
One of the leading causes for a double chin is a bit of enlargement of the fat tissue in your face. It can be caused by pregnancy, menopause, or excessive weight gain. Other medical conditions like hormonal imbalances may also expose you to double chins.
Another reason may be when you become overweight. It leads to loosening of the skin and pressure on the nerves. A genetic predisposition can also cause the double chin to form or by aging and other medical conditions like early menopause and hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause.
However, many people would not go for a double chin procedure right away. Even doctors might recommend some natural remedies before going for the procedure. Many cosmetic and natural treatments are available to help you eliminate the double chin. Even consuming enough calcium, magnesium, and vitamin A can help promote collagen production in your skin, improving facial contour. The more collagen present in your skin, the more it will be firm.
Another important way of reducing the appearance of double chins is to cut down on your salt and sugar intake. Also, exercising regularly can help you lose weight, reducing your chances of getting a double chin.
What Are The Cosmetic Treatments Of A Double Chin?
There are several different cosmetic procedures, including surgical and non-surgical procedures, that you can use to hide your double chin. It is essential to note that not all these treatments are suitable for people of all ages. The techniques and results may vary widely depending on the procedure you choose.
These procedures change over time as new scientific advances allow more precise treatments and more effective results. The best way to determine which procedure is right for you is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has immense experience in this field.
Here are some of the procedures that can help reduce your double chin:
- Non-surgical procedures: These treatments require no recovery time and effectively reduce the double chins. Non-surgical procedures are best suited for patients who do not have severe skin problems or active skin diseases.
The most commonly used non-surgical procedures currently include the following:
- CoolSculpting: This non-surgical procedure uses an applicator to freeze the fatty tissue and remove it. There are no scars, and patients can expect a final result within four to six months.
- Kybella: This is a new biologic treatment that uses a combination of deoxycholic acid and a synthetic peptide to break down the tissue that causes double chins. It is injected directly into the skin. Although it is a relatively new procedure, patients can expect a final result within four to six months.
2. Surgical procedures: These are performed by a plastic surgeon who removes the excess fat and skin tissue causing the double chin and then repairs any damage to the underlying muscles.
Surgical procedures are best suited for patients who want to correct moderate to severe double chins and people whose medical conditions require immediate attention. The most commonly used surgical procedures currently include the following:
- Liposuction: This is the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery in the United States, and it is highly effective in eliminating double chins. Liposuction uses a small tube called an “accessory” to remove excess fat cells and remove the remaining fat beneath the skin’s surface.
How Does The Double Chin Treatment Work?
The double chin treatment works differently than any other cosmetic procedure. If you want to know how double chin treatments work, it is crucial to understand that the doctor targets the muscles that support your double chin and tighten them to reduce the appearance of your double chin.
The tighter these muscles are, the less fat is supported by these muscles, resulting in a slimmer neckline. Once the muscle is tightened, it will no longer support additional fat, resulting in fewer wrinkles and softer creases around your neckline.
In addition, these treatments contract the muscles in the neck and release trigger points, resulting in a reduction in excess fat around your neck. However, depending on the type of double chin treatment, you may notice a difference in your appearance as soon as a few days after the procedure.
In most cases, you will only see results after several weeks of regular exercise. Candidates are encouraged to wait at least two months before considering surgery to ensure that any desired changes are permanent and permanent.
- Non-surgical treatments for double chins require no downtime and little recovery time, but they require several weeks of regular exercise to achieve the best results. It is important to note that non-surgical treatments for double chins must be completed over two months, and maintain a healthy diet and exercise plan if you want the results to be permanent.
- Surgical treatments for double chins are performed through incisions around the ear areas and the chin under the chin. In addition, some surgical treatments for double chins have minor incisions around the neck area (this is less common). After the surgery is completed, patients can return to their ordinary daily routine within a day. Moreover, it is advisable to make sure that you follow your doctor’s post-surgery recommendations to achieve the best results.
How Safe Is The Double Chin Procedure?
Most plastic surgeons will tell you that double chin procedures are very safe. However, it is crucial to understand that there are important differences between the risks that patients face with all surgeries, and these surgeries carry risks.
As per the studies, the risks of double chin procedures are very minimal, if not zero. However, it is essential to understand that you should not rely entirely on the plastic surgeon’s opinion and decide solely on what they say.
You must conduct your research to determine whether the procedure is right for you. Furthermore, most surgeons will only provide you with general information about the risks of their procedures.
While they can be gratifying and powerful, double chin procedures all have limitations that a patient should understand before considering any of these procedures. The types of cosmetic procedures, surgical and non-surgical, are often performed in combination, with each surgery complementing the effects of the other.
To ensure that you get the great results possible, it is vital to understand your options and discuss them with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Side-Effects Of A Double Chin Treatment
Both surgical and non-surgical procedures can have risks associated with them, including but not limited to the following:
The most common risks of non-surgical procedures for the double chin include:
- Scarring of the skin.
- Injury to the underlying muscles.(which can result in a loss of movement in one or more facial areas)
- Repetitive use of a specific facial muscle can lead to weakening and overuse and cause “cheeky” lines, which are vertical lines that stretch from the center of the lower lip up the entire length of your face.
The most common risks of surgical procedures for double chins include:
- Dislodged stitches
- Bruising around the incision area can be significant and last for weeks.
- In rare cases, a life-threatening infection.
- Damage to nerves and blood vessels (which can result in a lack of feeling or numbness in one or more facial areas)
- Significant scarring
- Loss of movement in one or more facial areas
- Difficulty eating and drinking after the surgery and for months afterward
However, double chin procedures have undeniable benefits. They can effectively improve your facial appearance and significantly boost your self-esteem. Moreover, double chin procedures are becoming increasingly popular as more people feel that getting rid of their double chin is the next big trend.
Selecting The Best Double Chin Treatment
It is vital to understand that there is no single best double chin treatment. Double chin procedures can have various effects, depending on the procedure used and other factors like your skincare regime and medical condition.
In general, patients need to understand their goals with double chin treatment before determining which procedure will give them the results they desire. Double chin treatment needs to be customized based on each patient’s specific needs, including but not limited to the following:
- Your skin type and condition
- Your current weight and diet
- Your health status
- Your age, lifestyle, and overall physical fitness
- Your current chin size, shape, and appearance (including the appearance of your neck)
- The severity of your double chin
- Whether you are seeking non-surgical treatment or surgical treatment
- How much time and patience do you have to wait for the results you want with double chin treatment
Therefore, it is essential to do some study before making up your mind about double chin treatment and deciding whether this is the best step for you. Moreover, certain tips are essential to keep in mind when choosing the best double chin treatment for yourself:
- Use a non-surgical treatment before considering surgical treatments
- Consider double chin treatment options in combination with other cosmetic procedures.
- Always consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon before any double chin treatment is performed, especially if you have health conditions that affect the treatment outcome.
- Survey about the risks and complications associated with each double chin procedure you are interested in
- Lastly, your budget and financial capabilities will be critical factors when considering double chin treatment.
The double chin treatment is a cosmetic procedure that targets the neck and chin area. This procedure aims to reduce the appearance of the double chin and improve the contours around the neck.
There are ample options for people who want a slimmer neck, including non-surgical and surgical treatments. However, it is advisable to keep in mind that there are also risks and complications associated with every treatment option, so it is vital to take the time to consider your options before you make a final decision.
Can double chin be removed permanently?
Yes, it can be removed permanently. Some patients’ double chins might be reduced, while some might be removed entirely. However, the goal of double chin treatment is to make any desired changes permanent.
Is there any pain associated with double chin treatment?
Not necessarily. Although some double chin treatments can be painful, most are not. Patients must expect some discomfort during the procedure and a few days after completing the treatment. Still, the pain is usually less intense than any patient undergoing cosmetic surgery might experience.
What is the cost of double chin treatment?
The cost of double chin treatment will vary depending on the type of treatment selected. Still, it is essential to remember that non-surgical treatments tend to be less expensive than surgical treatments.
The cost can also depend on whether the procedure is performed in a private clinic or a hospital setting. In most cases, double chin treatments are not covered by insurance, so patients should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket.
Who all should avoid double chin treatment?
Most double chin treatments do not require any special preparation, which means that most patients can undergo the treatment at any time. However, if you are pregnant or recovering from other procedures, you will want to speak to your doctor about your options before deciding whether to undergo the treatment.
Additionally, suppose you have a health condition affected by cosmetic procedures like diabetes or hypertension. In that case, it is crucial to speak with your doctor before getting any cosmetic procedure.