Last Updated on November 25, 2022 by Zwivel Team
Lip fillers, a type of dermal filler, are injections that add volume to your lips. Lip fillers consist of synthetic hyaluronic acid – a natural substance found in the fluids in the eyes and joints of the human body. There are several brands of lip fillers available on the market.
Getting a lip filler poses many risks like bleeding, pain at the injection sites, discoloration of lips, tenderness, infection, and tissue death. One of the main issues with this lip filling is the migrated lip filler – migration of filler into other face areas, usually toward the nose (migration).
In this article, we can discuss
- How to find migrated lip filler?
- Procedures to follow after lip filler migration
- Preventive acts to avoid lip filler migration
How To Spot Migrated Lip Filler?
The lip filling without the proper guidance of an experienced professional can result in a period of pain, discomfort, and loss of confidence. How the filler HA is manufactured or produced plays a vital role in the properties of fillers, like the degree of cross-linkage, particle size, and concentration. These properties can determine the clinical performance of the lip filler.
A migrated lip filler gives a ducky or “shelf-like” appearance above the lip border. The below picture can give you an idea about the appearance of migrated lip fill
There will be an uneven appearance of the lip as the filler has moved from being spread out to ending up all in one area. Migrated lip filler gives lips a lumpy appearance outside the lip lines. It can be below, above, beside, or even underneath the lip.
Why Does The Migration Of Lip Filler Happen?
One of the biggest reasons for migrated lip filler is incorrect injection. Some inexperienced, unprofessional, or unqualified service providers inject excess filler in a specific area or place it too deep under the skin.
- A general rule is never to inject the lip filler deeper than 2.5 mm at any point. This overfilling action into the lips with excess filler substance may contribute to migration.
- The ideal size for lip fillers starts with the bottom lip – 1.618 times larger than the top lip.
- The lips can be 1.618 wider than the width of the nose, and the top lip can project 1.618 more than the bottom lip.
If an injector does not follow this rule to enhance the lips leads to migrated lip filler.
When you choose a less experienced doctor, their work will lead to uneven and undesired results. Only the professionals in the field know to utilize lip filler to enhance the lips and ensure a natural appearance. Only less hydrophilic filler maintains the lip border sharpness and shape. Lip filling in improper lip proportions may lead to a disaster.
It is not always the mistake of the injector or the practitioner. It is essential to take care of your lips after the injection procedure. When you neglect the aftercare instructions provided by the instructor, it may cause a wide range of issues, including migrated lip filler.
How the human body reacts with the filler or breaks down the filler also has a vital role in migrated lip filler. Since lip filler is hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance, the metabolization happens in the human body and causes lip filler migration. Some people may experience this process more quickly than others.
Can I Do A Lip Filling Again After Finding A Migrated Lip Filler?
Yes! You can, but you may not get the desired look when you do it without considering some facts. It is advisable to either dissolve the filler fully or try to pinpoint a spot where to dissolve it. This dissolving process of fillers may take 3 to 4 days after treatment.
Once you suspect a migration in lip filler or any doubts in injection procedures, the professional experts recommend you two options. The first is to dissolve the filler manually, and the other is to wait until it naturally dissolves over time.
For dissolving the filler, doctors use an enzyme called Hylenex, which contains hyaluronidase, occurs naturally in the body, and breaks down the hyaluronic acid gel. When injecting this enzyme into the place where the unwanted filler is present, migrated, or improperly injected, it starts to dissolve fast.
Naturally metabolizing the lip filler:
Sometimes, the human body will naturally metabolize the lip filler based on the product type. It may take a duration between six months to a year. Sometimes, faster metabolism speeds up this process. Some filler products may be more resilient and take a long time to dissolve naturally.
Once you find the migration in lip filler, you need to massage the particular area every morning and night and use a hot compress to increase blood flow to the exact place that makes the product break down naturally. There are some chances of potential risk for using Hylenex in older clients.
And another point is that when dissolving fillers, you cannot achieve the expected results within one sitting of treatment. Sometimes it will take two to three rounds of treatment to achieve the results.
- The most asked question is – After dissolving the migrated lip filler, how long do I need to wait to get more filling?
Some say that you need to wait only two weeks after having your fillers dissolved before having new ones. But it is not correct. When you leave your lips free longer, the more time they will heal and the better your results will be in the future. It is better to wait for three, four, or even six months to get the migrated lip filler dissolved before having them again.
Can We Prevent Migrated Lip Filler?
Yes! By following the given steps, we can prevent migrated lip filler.
- The most needed step is to choose a certified and reputable plastic surgeon or dermatologist with lots of experience and vast knowledge of facial anatomy and follow their instructions precisely.
- Their credentials, registrations, and patient reviews are a few crucial things to consider.
- Do not press or over-touch the treated area for a full day after the filling process.
- Do usual slow facial movements that will help smooth out the fillers and help them settle into the exact place.
- Try to avoid the exercise on the day when you did your lip filling.
- If you have used HA filler injected in the past, it is better to dissolve it before lip filling again.
- Ensure the amount of filler injected into an area meets the rule criteria to avoid filler migration. It is vital to note that.
- Do not overfill. It may cause the filler substance to bleed into other areas.
- Let your practitioner know if you already have some filler in the lip-related part of your face.
- Nowadays, the aesthetics market has more than a thousand products. When opting for lip filler treatment, it is better to use trusted brands.
- The properties of lip filler products vary greatly and provide different results. Ask your injector questions to know whether they have a good understanding of their products and after-effects.
- Migration can occur when a person neglects the practitioner’s aftercare instructions. So try to follow that.
Lip fillers can restore and add volume to your less-volumed lips caused by genetics, smoking, and sun damage. They help you achieve the desired look that boosts your self-esteem. Lip fillers last up to 18 months, depending on age and the nature of the body. Migrated lip filler is the most faced issue among the treated people. Even though it is a complicated issue, we have more ways to correct and avoid it.