About The doctor
ABMS Board Certifications
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Areas Of Expertise:
Breasts & Chest, Body & Extremities
He is known throughout Richmond and the Mid-Atlantic area for having particular expertise in breast augmentation and advanced breast reconstruction and breast revision procedures. Dr. Zemmel also performs other cosmetic and reconstructive procedures of the breast, face and body. In addition to the surgical side of his practice, Dr. Zemmel and his team offer medical grade spa services along with numerous non-invasive laser treatments.
Dr. Zemmel holds medical licenses in Virginia. He performs surgery in his office suite, at St. Francis Hospital located in Midlothian, Virginia and at St. Mary’s Hospital in Richmond’s West End. Dr. Zemmel is currently Medical Director of Plastic Surgery Services at St. Francis Hospital.
Dr. Zemmel attended the prestigious College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, where he obtained a Bachelors of Science with Honors in Chemistry. Dr. Zemmel then began studying medicine at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. There he rotated through all of the core medical specialties including internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, and family medicine, before pursuing his studies in surgery. Dr. Zemmel obtained the outstanding score of 98% on the United States Medical Licensing Exam Part I. Dr. Zemmel participated in medical research while at the University of Virginia and published four research papers in peer-reviewed medical journals.
In 2001, Dr. Zemmel began training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. During this 3 year program, Dr. Zemmel’s training extended the full breadth of cosmetic and reconstructive techniques including head and neck reconstruction, hand and upper extremity surgery, microvascular surgery, breast reconstruction, burn reconstruction, and cosmetic surgery.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond (2001 - 2004)
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond. Chief Resident 2003 – 2004.
- Medical College of Virginia, Richmond (1999 - 2001)
- Residency, General Surgery. Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond
- Medical College of Virginia, Richmond (1998 - 1999)
- Internship, General Surgery. Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond