Can I get a breast lift while I get breast implants?
I think I need both and I would love to have them done in one surgery. I want to know if that's a sound idea in my situation. I'm in my late 50s, post-menopausal. My breasts have begun to defy gravity so this may not be my last lift but I'm sure I won't have an augmentation more than once. This is my last shot! What do I need to consider?
Yes! This a very common procedure since many women have breasts that deflate and sag with age and after pregnancies. It's great to be able to accomplish this in one surgery. You should consult with a PS who has experience with this type of surgery to find out your options, and to figure out what style and type of implants will work for you. Best of luck!
Great question! Yes, we commonly perform augmentation and lifting in the same surgery. I have done this procedure on someone as old as 80 (in good health).
Things you need to consider:
- Look for board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and membership in ASPS and ASAPS. These are markers of someone who has not only formally trained in plastic surgery but has at least several years in real world practice, board certification, and significant cosmetic case volume.
- Consider whether you are happy with your breast volume/projection when the breasts are in a bra/supported or if you want more/less volume. This may impact the decision on implants vs lift alone.
- Consider saline vs. silicone implants. The ASPS website plasticsurgery.org and the ASAPS site surgery.org both have extensive materials on these different devices and their pros and cons. We can also provide thorough education and we have a lot of info on our website.
- Consider scar patterns - full anchor, vertical incision, or just around the nipple. This decision is largely made by the surgeon based on physical exam findings and goals, including skin looseness, nipple position, breast volume, etc. Learning about these approaches can help educate you to make your consult more effective.
- Ask if your surgeon has simulation tools - we use Crisalix, which we love, to help educate patients along with an electronic medical record teaching tool I helped develop!
Feel free to reach out for more info!
Our breast lift page is here:
-- Dr. Sayed
Call: 1-858-24SAYED (1-858-247-2933)
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram: @timsayedmd
Tim Sayed has 4 Breast augmentation (Saline breast implants), Breast lift, Extended abdominoplasty before & afters: