Does anything really help to diminish the puffiness under the eyes (eye bags)?

I've tried everything, nothing seems to work. Some products actually made the puffiness worse. Any suggestions?



F, 62, New Jersey

Dr. David M. Tauber, MD - - Albany, NY A blepharoplasty is done to remove or reposition the tissue around the eyes to improve the way they look. This can involve removing excess eyelid skin, removing or repositioning the underlying orbital fat, and possibly tightening or repositioning the lid margin. Each patient is different, however, and not all patients will benefit from all of these maneuvers. See the following link for more info: A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option and provide you a custom quote for your situation. Call 518-724-2444 today to schedule a free phone or in person consultation! Best, Dr. David M. Tauber, MD - Board Certified Plastic Surgeon -

Puffy eyes and lower eyelids have many causes. Facial filler injections can help hide the puffiness by blending the lower eyelid with cheek area for an improved appearance. Blepharoplasty surgery would be required for permanent change. Plastic surgeons generally consider lower eyelid surgery, with fat reduction, reposition, or transfer, as one method to improve chronic puffy eyes. Read more about puffy eyes and treatments in the links below.

Puffy lower eyelids are not always from fat


Treating Dark Under Eye Circles and Eye Bags



Dr. Chaboki

Puffiness under the eyes is a natural consequence of aging.  Your eyeballs each sit on a bed of fat.  That bed of fat is held in place by a membrane called the "septum".  As we age, the septum becomes lax and starts to bulge, resulting in puffiness to the eyelids.  Treating it depends upon the cosmetic appearance that results.  If you have thin cheeks, the puffiness will be very noticeable.  It is then likely that a lower lid blepharoplasty would be necessary to remove the excess fat and/or reposition some of it to blend with the cheek.  But if your cheeks are not thin, then it may be the case that what is most visible as a result of the puffiness is the gap between your puffy lower lids and your cheeks.  That gap is called a tear trough.  When that is the case, then a filler to the tear trough such as juvederm is a great nonsurgical option to correcting the appearance.  It is important to consult with a plastic surgeon who has experience with this to make sure you get the result you are looking for.  Good luck!

Depending on what the puffiness is from there are different option of peels versus lasers versus radio frequency. Please see a board Certified plastic surgeon that can perform all of these!