Is reduction Genioplasty a thing?

I have a very masculine chin and wide jaw lines (Not very flattering for a woman). I started reading about Genioplasty, but all images show people getting a chin augmentation, so I don't know if Genioplasty is the right term for what I need. To be clear, I wish to correct my masculine features with a chin reduction. Any advice?


F, 36, Tennessee

Tags:woman age 25-34 chin jawline

There are a few different techniques that are available for plastic and reconstructive surgery on the chin. One of these is a genioplasty. Each patient is different, as is each situation, so my advice is for you to consult with a few local board-certified plastic surgeons who ideally have extensive experience with chin recontouring.

Reducing the size of a prominent chin and/or jaw line is generally more complicated than the more common chin surgery we’re asked to perform here, which is to enlarge the chin with implants. As each person is different, so are their bone structure, teeth, and facial features. Chin reduction is not a simple procedure, so you should discuss all of the available options with your plastic surgeon to determine which procedure will be best for your unique situation.

Your doctor should be able to produce a series of images to give you a better idea of what your face will look like after the surgery. You should also ask to see their book of before-and-after photos (they should have plenty of them] to see how other chin reduction patients have fared with your chosen surgeon. The procedure will take place while you're under general anesthesia and there should be no residual scarring afterward. You will have some post-surgery bruising and swelling, but these will fade within the next two weeks.

Genioplasty refers to chin augmentation procedures that aim to improve the appearance of a person's chin, such as chin reduction if the chin/jawline is too large, or enlarging/repositioning it to repair an incomplete or smaller chin. There are different types of genioplasty, among them sliding genioplasty (osseous genioplasty), asymmetric chin point and implant genioplasty.

Since your goal is to reduce the size of your chin and jawline, and by extension, your facial profile, I suggest you consult with a few board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in these procedures. They will be able to discuss the various techniques they employ in these situations and offer their recommendations on which procedure will be best to bring your own chin down to proportions more in line with a typical female chin.

You'll likely be given general anesthesia, so you’ll be "knocked out" during the procedure. As with most surgeries, some post-op swelling and bruising is to be expected and will probably last for a couple of weeks, at which point you should see a marked improvement in your chin shape.

Yes it's possible to make the chin smaller.  You would have to have an exam to ensure you have normal occlusion (relationship of the upper teeth to the lower teeth).  If so, and if the chin is too prominent, then reduction can be done).

Hi Danqqq

There indeed is a reduction genioplasty.

An exam is needed to really be specific here.  The appearance of the chin will depend on the appearance of the nose, occlusion (proper bite), size of the lower jaw, and size of the chin.

I recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with this, or, barring that, an oral surgeon.