I had a rhinoplasty procedure about 6 weeks ago. As soon as my cast came off at week 1, I noticed a tightness/stuffiness with one of my nasal airways. My surgeon advised me to be patient. A couple of weeks later it became more distressing to me as it had not improved and I became more worried. I researched rhinoplasty forums online and suspect that I have a nasal valve collapse. I found that by performing the cottle maneuver that it provided immediate relief and my surgeon advised me I could use 'breathe right' strips at night to help my breathing and sleeping. The strips helped however, I noticed after the first night that I used the strips there was a noticeable divet or a dip on my bone where it had been sitting on the bridge near the top of my nose. I am not happy with either the functional or cosmetic outcome with my rhinoplasty.
The surgeon has attempted a couple of procedures to improve the function - shrinking back the internal mucosal lining and also injecting the problem side of my nose with a hardening gel (which has also affected the shape of my nose for the worse). Neither of these have helped.
I enquired about the nasal implant - Latera (Spirox) - however, my surgeon said there was a risk of implants traveling to the brain and was opposed to this option. Is there any other suggestions that I should consider?
It seems as if I will have to live with these problems for at least 6 months - 1 year, until at which point I can get a corrective/revision surgery performed. Should I seek another surgeon and pay out of pocket for a revision or should I trust that my surgeon can improve my nasal concerns a second time around? It has affected me greatly and I am very upset at this current stage.
It is obviously upsetting when this happens after a rhinoplasty. However, I would strongly recommend that you not do anything else right now. Rhinoplasties, more than any other procedure, take a very long time for the tissues to heal. Everything that you do right now will just delay the healing process and it is very unlikely to help. You need to wait 9-12 months for all the swelling to resolve and then reassess. It is often the case that these issue resolve over time on their own. To the extent that they do not resolve, you can decide to follow up with your original surgeon or seek a second and third opinion before determining the best way to proceed.
Dr. Gary Breslow has 12 Nose job before & afters: