What procedure provides Ear Reduction and the cost?

My ears look like they are trying to jump off my head. As first child I was teased pretty aggressively because of it. Now that I have some cold hard cash I was wondering what the best way to fix them would be and how much it could cost. It is nice to know that there is a potential fix to my problem though. Amen to giving people options.


M, 30, California

Are you saying you are interested in reduction of a prominent ear deformity (for lack of a more politically correct term, "dumbo ears")? This is a common condition that is a normal variant of ear development. The procedure to treat this is called otoplasty and is very popular. Although typically done in childhood around 6-8 years of age (around the time school issues may arise but once the cartilage has grown to close to its adult size), otoplasty can be done in adulthood too. The surgery takes between 1.5-3 hours depending on the situation and is usually done under general anesthesia, although consideration can be given to doing it under local in adults. Recovery requires wearing special bandaging for a week to two weeks and some care to prevent pressure on the sites. Healing is generally complete within a few months. Recurrence of the prominence (the ear "bouncing back") can occur but if so, retreatment is usually successful.

We are located here in southern California if you are considering a consultation.

Here's more info:


-- Dr. Sayed

For more info,

Visit Us at    http://www.timsayedmd.com

Email Us at  [email protected]

Call Us at     1-858-24SAYED (1-858-247-2933)

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram: @timsayedmd

Thank you for sharing your question.  The procedure you are referring to is called an Otoplasty.  It can be done in an office under local anesthesia.  Please be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this procedure.  Here in NJ, the cost is about $4500.  Feel free to visit my website to see a before and after photo of a patient who had an Otoplaty surgery in my office.  I hope this was helpful to you.

Best Wishes, Dr. B.