2017 Honest Review of Invisalign: Pros, Cons, Costs and Final Thoughts

Tags: age 18-24 crooked teeth dental aligners clear aligners

Practice & Staff

• 5 -
    Ease of scheduling an appointment
  • 5 -
    Office environment, cleanliness, comfort...
  • 5 -
    Staff friendliness and courteousness

Overall experience with the procedures

• 5 -
    Level of trust in provider's decisions
  • 5 -
    How well provider explained procedure(s)
  • 5 -
    How well provider listens to and answers questions
  • 5 -
    Amount of time provider spent with you

Procedure specific satisfaction rating

Invisalign

Performed 2017

Zwivel Rating
(5/5)

I am currently 22 years old, living in California and got my invisalign procedure done with Dr. Bruce Stephenson. I definitely have a long history regarding my teeth and they had been my issue since I was younger. I had severely crooked teeth since I was 10. I went to the dentist to get a consultation and they said I had a case of overcrowding and that it was best for me to wait until all my teeth were permanent before I get braces. I was at age 17 when I first got traditional braces. My teeth were getting significantly better after a span of a few months, but since I had to migrate here in America, I had to get them removed because I was told that it would be difficult to find an orthodontist that would want to continue taking care of the braces that I currently had because they would be unaware of my case. So after I got then removed, my teeth went back to being crooked but not as worse as before. Before the braces, it would be obvious in photos on how bad my teeth were if I were to smile.

After getting the braces removed, they weren’t that bad in photos. Even then, I was still insecure about my teeth. So I did some research and found an dental office near me that offered invisalign. They offered it at the price of $5120, if I’m not mistaken. But they gave me a student discount and I only had to pay $4590 that I could pay by installments in a span of 12 months. I wasn’t entirely financially stable at the time but I still went with it. Within that 12-month period I definitely struggled to pay it off, but I knew it would be worth it in the end once I see my perfect smile. They started the procedure by making an impression of my top and bottom teeth. They told me that they were going to send these impressions to invisalign and within 2 weeks, they will send back sets of aligners for me to use to start my teeth-straightening process.

I come back in 2 weeks and wore my first set of aligners. When I first wore them, I was expecting for them to be not that entirely visible since they were advertised that way, but it was the complete opposite. People would stare at my mouth often and try to figure out what I have on my teeth. It took long before I got used to the stares but it happened eventually. I ended up having to explain that I was wearing invisalign and that I knew it looked weird. The clinic gave me the aligners by sets and instructed for me to switch aligners every 2 weeks and that I should wear each pair for a minimum of 22 hours a day. I did very good in the first half of the year that I needed to wear them and saw amazing results.

People were telling me that I have a great smile and that my teeth were getting so much better. Unfortunately, this did not last very long. I started to slack off wearing the aligners for 22 hours because throughout the day, I would snack very often and with these aligners, I would have to take them off every time and brush them every after use which was hard for me because I didn’t have a toothbrush with me anywhere I go. I made it to the 12th month of wearing my aligners and finally, they gave me retainers to wear. These retainers were worse than the aligners because they were made of different material. They were stiff and not as flexible as the aligners. They were so uncomfortable that my bad habits started to come over me again. I was also supposed to wear these retainers everyday for 22 hours, but I wasn’t doing a good job at it. I skipped days until it got to a point where I wasn’t wearing them anymore. And before I knew it, my bottom teeth slightly distorted back to the way they were before. The same thing happened with my upper set of teeth. I wear my retainers every now and then, and these would help somehow but definitely not as great as if I were to be wearing my old aligners that would actually move my teeth. Right now, my teeth aren’t as bad as they were when I was young and also not as great when I was currently using invisalign. I definitely regret those times that I didn’t wear my aligners and retainers when I was supposed to, but I’m not entirely upset about how my teeth are looking now because they are still definitely an improvement with what I had years and years before.

1 patient has found this review helpful