Dr Gary Breslow Gave Me The Tummy Tuck Results I Wanted
I have been so happy with the results I had from my tummy tuck surgery with Dr. Gary Breslow, that I wanted to write a detailed review of my experience for other women considering this procedure.
I'll start by saying that I opted to get a tummy tuck after having two children. I had reached the point where I started caring about my appearance again. Looking in the mirror was not fun and I knew things would only get worse if I didn't have a surgical intervention. I wanted to feel good about myself again and have the confidence to wear tighter clothes. And believe me, I was not happy about having to go under the knife!
I picked Dr. Breslow because his Paramus office is near where I live in Upper Saddle River, NJ, and a girlfriend of mine had surgery with him and loved her results. I consulted with Dr. Breslow and Dr. Michael Fiorillo in Pearl River, NY. I liked both doctors, but Dr. Breslow had stronger academic credentials (I'm a techer) and seemed a bit more professional.
I arrived 15 minutes earlier for my consultation and had to fill out paperwork. The paperwork asked me some general health and contact information.
Then I was called into an examination room and a nice nurse went over my paperwork, asked me a few questions and then gave me a gown to change into. I then went and had my body scanned with a Vectra machine, which Dr. Breslow would later use to show me what I would like after surgery.
5-10 minutes went by and then Dr. Breslow came with an assistant. He introduced himself and asked me why I had come to see him. I told him I was unhappy with the excess skin and the big pooch I had after having two children and I could not get rid of it no matter how much I exercised. Dr. Breslow told me I was a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery with liposuction for extra contouring. He went over the procedure, showed me the results he could give me and discussed the recovery. I also viewed lots of his tummy tuck before and after photos, which all looked very natural with good outcomes.
After I had met with Dr. Breslow, I went to meet with the patient care coordinator Cheri, who was very kind. Cheri told me the cost of my tummy tuck surgery with liposuction would be about $12,000 with all the fees. I was expecting my surgery to cost in the range of $15-20k, so I was pleasantly surprised. I told Cheri I had to go home and discuss everything with my husband, but that I would get back to her within a week.
Picking a Surgeon
I picked Dr. Breslow because:
- I'm a teacher and he had fantastic academic credentials. He went to Brown, NYU and the University of Pennsylvania. Cosmetic surgery is an elective procedure and I'm not putting my body in the hands of someone who wasn't the smartest doctor.
- He was very professional during my consultation. My girlfriend had told me that she thought he was very serious, but surgery is very serious!
- His fees were very reasonable, especially compared to other tummy tuck quotes I received over the phone.
- His staff was very sweet and I felt comfortable at his office.
Preparing For Surgery
To prepare for my tummy tuck surgery, I did the following:
- Two weeks before surgery I had to avoid all blood thinning medications and activities (e.g. aspirin, ibuprofen and alcohol)
- I could not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. I constantly drink water, so this was difficult for me to do.
- I preordered several tummy tuck compression garments, as I had read online that the first one you're given gets covered in fluid and blood.
The Day of My Tummy Tuck Surgery
- I arrived at the surgery center in the basement of Dr. Breslow's office at 6 am. My surgery was scheduled for 7:30.
- I checked in, was given a gown, took pregnancy test to make sure I wasn't pregnant and then they made sure my paperwork was there. I signed a few consents for the procedure. I also received some post-op paperwork from the surgical center.
- I received an IV in my hand.
- The anesthesiologist came by and said hello.
- Dr. Breslow came in and put some markings on my body. He confirmed my wants and needs for the surgery and took a before picture.
- I was wheeled into the operating room and within 5 minutes, the anesthesiologist put me under.
- I woke up in a recovery room and was not in any pain. I did feel a little nauteous though.
Tummy Tuck Surgery Recovery
The first few days were difficult. I needed to take the painkillers I was prescribed to control my pain. It was annoying having drains attached to my body and I did not sleep much the first few days.
My drains started showing very little output by the following week after surgery, so I was able to get them removed. My pain had drastically subsided. I still had a lot of swelling and bruising. I also felt pain if any tension was placed on my incision line, so I did everything possible to avoid moving.
It took every bit of a month to feel like I was back to my normal self. Only now, my normal self consisted of a much tighter stomach! Things only got better over the next few months until I was absolutely in love with my appearance.
My Final Tummy Tuck Results
I honestly could not be any happier with the outcome I had from my tummy tuck surgery. The body I had in my late teens has returned and I no longer fear wearing tighter fitting clothes. Dr. Breslow and his entire staff - Denise, Madison and Cheri - were all wonderful! I had no unexpected side effects would return to his office for additional plastic surgery procedures.