user1839871 Patient gender: Female Patient age: 30 Cost: $3,500

Before and afters

Procedure rating

Other

Rating
(5/5)

Performed 2018

Procedure review

I was thinking, wouldn’t it be great if you could get rid of fat and build muscles without exercising?  Maybe it will happen some day in the future, but it’s not available today.  For those of us that have dieted and exercised and still can’t get back to the way we looked when we were younger, there is something out there called Emsculpt.  It’s not magic, but it did go a long way to helping me get look (and feel) better.

This relatively new procedure uses something called high-intensity electromagnetic energy to make your muscles contract and is touted as destroying fat cells and building muscle mass and definition.

I was very skeptical, but decided to consult with a few doctors in my area that offer the procedure (dermatologists and plastic surgeons).  The doctor’s I spoke with also offer a bunch of other treatments and remedies, from non-surgical to surgical, but I was looking for something that did not require any needles, surgery, etc. and came with limited downtime.  If I could just lay on a table and not do anything, that was even better.

The Emsculpt procedures are pretty pricey, so you should make sure that you are good candidate.  By good candidate I mean someone that has done some level of exercising and work toward having a balanced diet – basically, people that just can’t seem to shed those last few pounds and want restore some definition to their abs and butt.  It’s not a replacement for diet and exercise, and it’s not really ideal for someone that is overweight (the definition of overweight/BMI has changed in recent years, so make sure a good candidate for this procedure).  Just don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you’ll be able to lose weight and inches, while gaining muscle, without ever having exercised or eating right.

I went for my first treatment on a Friday afternoon.  Just to be safe, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t have to go back to work if I didn’t feel up to it.  For the record, after my first treatment, I felt I could definitely have could have gone back to work.  The whole visit lasted about 45minutes and that included waiting for the technician, the procedure, and a brief conversation on post-procedure do’s and don’ts.

There is no pre-procedure prep work (although you probably want to be able to change into or bring comfortable clothing), no numbing gel, no needles, and definitely no cutting of any sort.  I just laid on my stomach (the technician applied one pad to each butt check) and the machine did the rest of the work.  There was no real pain, but I did feel some pulsing or zapping, like my muscles were contracting and releasing.  After a few minutes I flipped over on my back and another pad was used on my abdomen.  Same feeling as the butt.  Then I was done.

I was sore for about a day or so.  In this case it was muscle soreness, similar to a very vigorous workout at the gym.  I went twice the following week and then once the week after.  The treatments are usually recommended twice per week for two weeks (total of four).  I live in a metro area and the price was approximately $3,500 for all four treatments.  I have seen some offers online for four treatments for less than $3,000 and others that are higher-priced.  I recommend that you do your homework and select someone that has experience with the procedure (versus saving a couple of hundred dollars).  Obviously, the price will vary by location.

It’s been two months since the procedures and I definitely look like I have a tighter butt and abdomen.  I do see less fat and feel like I have more defined buns and stomach.  I continue to exercise and to eat right.  I do have my cheat days, but the best way to maintain the look of Emsculpt treatments is to keep working at it. 

1 patient has found this review helpful

Thats a great report on the EMSCULPT treatments.  We will have to refer patients here for information about EMSCULPT.

Ken Oleszek, MD

La Fontaine Aesthetics

Denver, Colorado