I Was 400 lbs, Contemplating Suicide and Have a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Tags:age 45-54 350 lbs and up

EKilpatrick 51
Before Weight Loss Surgery 1 - I Was 400 lbs, Contemplating Suicide and Have a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - review image.
Before Weight Loss Surgery 2 - I Was 400 lbs, Contemplating Suicide and Have a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - review image.
After Weight Loss Surgery 1 - I Was 400 lbs, Contemplating Suicide and Have a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - review image.
After Weight Loss Surgery 2 - I Was 400 lbs, Contemplating Suicide and Have a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - review image.

The average price in Michigan is:
$1000

How much will this cost you?
Speak with a cosmetic doctor nearby

Did you know you can get financing for cosmetic treatments with CareCredit?
Find out more

Procedure specific satisfaction rating

Other

Performed 2018

Zwivel Rating
(5/5)

Four years ago, I was 47 years old and the single mother of a 17-year-old son whose father had passed away a few years earlier. I was 400 pounds and living a life that revolved around my son and my work – from the relative isolation of my own home.  Truly, the only reason I wasn’t seriously considering suicide was because I couldn’t do that to my son. My son was getting ready for college and I had pretty much given up on my life. I couldn’t see any future for myself.

I think more than anything the idea of my son going away to school spurred me to finally move forward with weight loss surgery. My first weight loss surgery consultation was when he was an infant – and I always held back because I didn’t feel it was fair as a parent to put my life at risk for something I thought I should be able to do on my own. Now that he was growing up, I finally jumped and decided it was time.

I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery on April 14, 2014, and have lost 180 pounds since then. Now at 51, every single thing about my life has changed, and I am happier than I have ever been. I could not have imagined how amazing my life would become, especially considering where I was in my life only 4 years ago.

And how has my life changed exactly? Well – I started working out immediately after I was released following surgery, so I am stronger and more fit than I have ever been. I had never traveled out of the country before, and in the last year, I have been to London, Riviera Maya, and Bogota – as well as to eight states. I have developed deep and lifelong friendships. I have fallen in love and had my heart broken and survived it. I have taken on new challenges in my work life. I launched a YouTube vlog that now has 2,000 subscribers and interviews with other weight loss surgery patients, doctors, and other experts who I think would be of interest to the community. I wake up each day with a joy for living that I’ve never known before. 

If you are going through a similar journey, please feel free to post a comment and I'll get back to you ASAP.