I Was Scared to Get Botox But Now I love it
Procedure specific satisfaction rating
Botulinum toxin A
I used to be dead against Botox. I thought the idea of injecting a toxin into your face was just plain silly. That was until I became obsessed with my forehead wrinkles and frown lines. I could not stop looking at these wrinkles and every time I looked in the mirror or looked at a photo of myself, all I saw was wrinkes! I felt like I always looked grumpy. It was like I was frowning because I was mad at somebody. My frown muscles seemed to be unusually strong. I tried to cover them with foundation, but that didn't work either. It was also quite annoying removing foundation from the creases of my wrinkles.
Before I made the decision to get Botox, I tried many expensive skin care products to help my wrinkles. But there’s only so much those products can do at the end of the day. I decided I didn't want to deal with these wrinkles anymore and made the decision to get botox. It was a big decision to make - it’s not like you're putting a cream on your face. I wanted it for a long time, but I was scared to do it. I’m not scared of needles, but I was scared of injecting something into my face and not liking the results. I had been thinking about getting Botox for a couple of years. I really wanted to make sure I was 100% sure I wanted it. I have a lot of friends who get it done and they are always very happy with their results. Everyone I ever spoke to was so happy they had it done too. It really bothered me when I looked in the mirror. My friends would tease me about it and I was already self-conscious about it and all I thought about was my stupid forehead wrinkles. Wiping foundation out of the creases inside my wrinkles was getting old.
I finally took the plunge and decided to get Botox. I went to Leah Bienstock, a physician assistant in New Jersey. I told her I didn't like my frown lines (11's) or forehead wrinkles. I also didn't want to have a frozen look. She understood my concerns and injected me. The experience was painless and since I wasn't scared of needles, I didn't mind it at all.
It's now been 6 months since I got my Botox injections and I'm in love with them. It took a few days for the Botox to start working, and it felt a bit odd at first, but I love it now! My lines have already faded dramatically and I am truly happy with my results. The Botox also gave me a little less less of a hooded eye, almost like a mini brow lift, which I love. Botox is great!
If you're reading my review and considering Botox, here are a few tips I would offer:
1) If you have wrinkles and you're not feeling great about yourself and they bother you to the point that it's impacting your life, get Botox. You shouldn't suffer from depression over a physical defect that can be easily corrected these days.
2) Botox isn't dangerous. Don't be scared that it's called 'botulinum toxin.' It's been used on millions of people and is FDA approved as safe and effective.
3) Botox may not work on deep lines that have been there for a while. You may also need dermal fillers (more expensive than Botox). Botox will soften the deeper lines though.
4) The decision to get Botox has to be yours! Don't let anybody else make the decision for you.
5) Botox is not something you get once and walk away from. Know that you'll need to get it every 6 months or so for a long time. It's not cheap, so plan accordingly.
6) Botox is such a simple treatment. It's a few needle pricks, which you won't even feel. The needle is so small too!
7) Do your research and find a provider who is going to give you the results you want. There are many qualified injectors out there, just make sure you pick the right one.
Was Botox worth it? I would say absolutely yes, at least for me. This is my opinion and my thoughts though. What I consider to be good results, you might not. You should talk to other people you know that have had Botox done and see what they look like and what their thoughts of the process were.
(I don't have any good before photos but I posted a photo of me 5 months after I got my Botox injections.)