Kybella Treatment Review. $1200 in Astoria, NY. Pictures and Videos.

Tags:woman age 25-34 5 ft 0 in to 5 ft 3 in 130-149 lbs neck chin results swelling cost local anesthesia injection numbing injection

SRiviera
$1,200 Astoria, NY
Kybella Treatment Review. $1200 in Astoria, NY. Pictures and Videos. - review image.
Kybella Treatment Review. $1200 in Astoria, NY. Pictures and Videos. - review image.

Practice & Staff

• 5 -
    Ease of scheduling an appointment
  • 5 -
    Office environment, cleanliness, comfort...
  • 5 -
    Staff friendliness and courteousness

Overall experience with the procedures

• 5 -
    Level of trust in provider's decisions
  • 5 -
    How well provider explained procedure(s)
  • 5 -
    How well provider listens to and answers questions
  • 5 -
    Amount of time provider spent with you

Procedure specific satisfaction rating

Kybella

Performed 2016

Zwivel Rating
(5/5)

My name is Sam, I'm 26 years old and I'm from Queens, NY. I would like to share my experience receiving Kybella injections with you. Kybella is an injectable deoxycholic acid (detergent) used to kill submental fat cells in the chin and neck area. I am 5-feet-tall and approximately 140 pounds. I’ve always had excess fat underneath my chin due to genetics (my mom has a large double chin) in addition to some recent weight gain. I first found out about Kybella from an advertisement at my doctor's office (Dr. Alexander J. Nicolaides, MD). After asking my doctor and his assistants tons of questions as well as doing my own independent research I finally decided to go forth with the procedure.

On February 2, 2017, I had a Kybella treatment. I was a little nervous, as I had never had any cosmetic treatments before. The doctor and his staff were extremely patient and understanding of all of the emotions I was going through (trust me, I was going through a lot of emotions!) They answered all of my questions and walked me through the process as they were doing it. Eventually my fears subsided, as I had read most people were extremely satisfied with Kybella and had great results.

In order to determine how many vials I needed, I was asked to lay my head back, smile, stretch my neck, basically do different mouth and neck movements to make my double chin and jawline more pronounced. The doctor then gently touched/squeezed my chin/neck to get a feel for the amount of fat in the area, medically known as my 'submental fullness.' The doctor said I was a good candidate and it was determined I needed two vials of Kybella, for a total of 20 shots ($1,200.00). A stencil was then made in the form of a grid (small dots a few cm apart) and placed over my double chin. The stencil is similar to that of a tattoo stencil.

The most important part of the procedure is the next step: numbing. After the stencil was applied, I was injected with local anesthesia to numb my submental area -- I believe it was something similar to Lidocaine. I cannot put enough emphasis on the importance of getting a local anesthetic to numb the treatment area. From my research and from talking to other patients about their experience, most medical professionals do not offer numbing, or use some sort of numbing cream. This, in my opinion, is absurd! You MUST be numb before the Kybella is injected, otherwise the pain will be unbearable. Because I was numb, I felt no pain, only discomfort. This procedure should not be painful. The numbing agent went into effect immediately in the treatment area. It was then time to begin my Kybella procedure. The Kybella was injected into each of the 20 stencil dots and my neck immediately swelled. The swelling is not painful, only uncomfortable. Since the area is still numb it mainly feels like a larger amount of excess fat under your chin. Having multiple injections in rapid succession was certainly an odd feeling but it was not terrible.

That night I slept well, however; as the numbing agent wore off it became more tender to the touch but to my surprise I still didn’t feel any pain. At that point I started to feel more comfortable with what I had done. The following morning, I woke up with a hoarse cough that lasted for about 4 hours and my chin was double in size. I like to compare my chin to the Nutty Professor, yes it was THAT big. Just like everyone else who got Kybella, I was officially a human bullfrog. I called my doctor and explained to them what was happening. They advised that coughing is not one of the known potential side effects and if it persisted, then I should come in to be examined. Thankfully the cough completely went away a few hours later.

In the days and weeks to follow, the swelling continued to slowly lessen. My neck and chin area became more firm and less tender. The tender sensation decreased completely after about five weeks but the swelling remained. It took about 3 ½ - 4 months for the swelling to go away entirely. As for my results, there has been a change in the amount of fat I harvest in my double chin. I feel like 50% of the fat is gone. I was advised by my doctor that I would reap the full benefits of Kybella if I do two treatments (one more round.) Usually patients get their second round about 6 weeks after the first but I chose to wait to see what my results were with one treatment. I believe I can benefit from another round of Kybella however it is now June and I refuse to sport another bullfrog neck in the warmer months. The up-side to getting Kybella in the colder months is you can mask your chin/neck with a scarf or turtle neck.

I am happy with my results and cannot wait to get my second treatment. Kybella works! Please be mindful of your appearance change when receiving Kybella. The only downside to Kybella is the price and the extreme swelling at the injection sites. Compared to other cases, my supplemental fat was minor and yet I still need another round. At $600 a vial, that becomes pretty costly. I also recommend you consider liposuction if you have a severely large amount of submental fat in your chin/neck area. I believe the cost for chin liposuction is comparable to the cost of Kybella for more extreme cases. I also recommend you get the procedure done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I would not go to an esthetician at a spa for a Kybella treatment.

I hope my review of my experience with Kybella can help you to make an informed decision on whether or not Kybella is right for you. In my opinion, Kybella is a great injectable treatment and can offer pretty dramatic results. Please be safe and only go to a doctor that you truly feel safe and comfortable with! Good luck!

I included a video of my experience for those of you interested.

3 patients have found this review helpful