My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience

Tags:age 25-34 crooked teeth dental aligners clear aligners

HannahR 27
$1,700
Teeth Before SmileDirectClub 1 - My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience  - review image.
Teeth Before SmileDirectClub 2 - My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience  - review image.
Teeth After SmileDirectClub 1 - My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience  - review image.
Teeth After SmileDirectClub 2 - My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience  - review image.
Teeth After SmileDirectClub 3 - My 2017 Review of My SmileDirectClub Experience  - review image.

Procedure specific satisfaction rating

Smile Direct Club

Performed 2017

Zwivel Rating
(5/5)

My treatment with SmileDirectClub went above and beyond my expectations. I once thought that correcting my crooked teeth was a childhood dream that I'd never accomplish but then, at 25 years old, I was contacted by SmileDirectClub and asked to try their services in exchange for a video review on my YouTube channel. It seemed too good to be true so I extensively researched them and found them to be legit. Getting straight teeth at home for the half the cost of their competitors? I couldn't say 'yes' fast enough!

I had a bumpy beginning but things progressively got smoother from there. The first step was to take impressions to find out if I was a viable candidate. SmileDirectClub sent me all the supplies I needed to be my own at-home dentist. I used a putty like material and special mouth guards to take my impressions. It's a tricky process and, in total, I had to re-take impressions 3 times. This took up about 2 months of time.

Once the impressions were correct and were checked over by their licensed orthodontists, I was told I was a perfect candidate for the program. Another 1-2 months went by as I patiently waited for them to create my treatment plan and start making my clear aligners. I was given a login for their website where I could view a 3D model of my teeth and watch exactly how my teeth were going to shift in the next 9 months. This was avaialble to me all throughout treatment which I thought was convinvent and defintly something I wouldn't get at an ordinary orthodontist.

I was very disciplined in wearing my trays every day for the minimum 22 hours. At first I had a really noticeable lisp. Thankfully that went away after a month! As far as pain goes, each time I switched into a new tray I would have discomfort for 3-4 days. It wasn't enough to bother me though. I would liken the feeling to getting braces tightened (a procedure I never went through) so I accepted it as a normal part of the process and a sign that my teeth were shifting and doing the right thing.

SmileDirectClub was really thoughtful and always included retainer cases, gritty files, "chewies", and remover tools each time they sent me a new pack of aligners. (Which was about every few months)

There were a few occasions when the plastic aligners were sharp and would cut up my mouth but thanks to the gritty files they included, I was able to file them down to my desired smoothness.

I quickly adjusted to taking the trays out for meals and brushing and flossing multiple times a day. I'd reckon to say that my mouth has never been more healthy than during my treatment! It's worth keeping in mind that you will be spending extra time and money on supplies to keep your treatment running smoothly outside of the tools they provide.

My treatment was supposed to last 9 months but I ran into an emergency dental procedure during month 4. This haulted my process and delayed my end result. I lost about a month of time and then had to retake impressions and essentially start my treatment over in the middle of it. But, again, everything ran very smoothly after that. After restarting is when I really noticed my teeth shifting and turning into the smile I wanted!

At the end of month 10, I was supposed to be done with treatment but another blunder popped up - my bite was a mess. My smile looked dazzling but I couldn't comfortably bite my teeth together. I emailed SmileDirectClub and they were so understanding and accomodating and agreed to take more impressions, view photos of my current smile, and see what they could do to help.

This resulted in them kindly extending my treatment an extra two months to make sure my bite was correct. I cannot reiterate enough how helpful they were whenever I contacted them with questions - which was freqently! I felt very comfortable talking to them about any problems that arose and trusted their opinions.

I recently finished with (what is hopefully) my final set of trays and then I am moving on to my retainer. The retainer is a slightly thicker plastic than the trays and only has to be worn continously for the first 2 weeks and then is only needed at night after that. They've already given me lots of tips and contact information so I'll be prepared to replace my retainer in 6 months.

This has been a rollercoaster of feelings but, at the end of the day, I have a perfect smile that I got from the comfort of home without anyone knowing I had braces. All those bumps in the road just make me that much more appreciative of what I have now and THAT makes me smile!

6 patients have found this review helpful