My Septoplasty and Turbinectomy Surgery Went Great

AllegraCraver Patient gender: Female Location: Bedminster, NJ Cost: $100

Before and afters

Before My Septoplasty - My Septoplasty and Turbinectomy Surgery Went Great - review image.
Another Picture Before My Septoplasty - My Septoplasty and Turbinectomy Surgery Went Great - review image.
Following my Septoplasty Surgery - My Septoplasty and Turbinectomy Surgery Went Great - review image.
After I Healed From My Septoplasty - My Septoplasty and Turbinectomy Surgery Went Great - review image.

Procedure rating

Other

Rating
(5/5)

Performed 2018

Procedure review

Hey! My name is Allegra, I’m 20 years old from Morristown, New Jersey and this is the story of my septoplasty and turbinectomy.

Let’s start with the story of how my nose became so messed up in the first place. When I was younger, I played recreational basketball and softball. My teammates and I being in middle school, we ended up accidentally throwing a basketball or softball at each other’s faces quite a bit. I remember being hit in the face with a basketball at least twice, but my nose never actually broke; it was only hit off-center. This only allowed me to breathe out of my right nostril.

As my face grew and my desire to play sports diminished, I was left with a nose that angled slightly to the right. I grew up thinking that it was normal to breathe through one side of my nose because the open nostril compensated for the one that had shut. My GP always told me that one day when my face stopped growing, I should get a septoplasty to correct the problem.

I went to Dr. Tanveer Janjua in Bedminster, New Jersey. He was recommended to me by a family friend and he did not disappoint. Dr. Janjua went through everything with me and explained the entire process. He made it clear that what I was doing would not affect the outward appearance of my face and that if I wanted to do rhinoplasty (nose job), we could do that too. I wasn’t too thrilled at the idea of altering my face and he was more than understanding.

Dr. Janjua said I would need a turbinectomy on top of the septoplasty. He said it was common to need both procedures at once since the glands on the inside of the nose called turbines expand to fit the space they’re given. The ones in my open nostril were huge. If he were to just reset my septum, the turbines would block my other nostril. We decided to do both at once and set a date for the surgery.

My procedure was done first thing in the morning. I remember being very nervous and then being put under. When I woke up, I felt like I was punched in the face. It was the most uncomfortable feeling in the world. There was packing up my nose so I couldn’t breathe or smell anything. When I tried to eat later on that day, nothing had a taste; every food was just a different texture of tasteless matter. Needless to say the first few days were rough. Even though Dr. Janjua prescribed me Oxycodone to help with the pain, I stuck to extra strength Tylenol and was fine. I slept a lot and spent a lot of time icing my face. Even though there was no bruising, my nose swelled up to double its size. I didn’t go outside the first few days, but my family took good care of me.

As the days went on, the bleeding stopped. There was dried blood everywhere the first few days which was disgusting and uncomfortable. After a week, I could finally take a Q-Tip and gently start cleaning the wounds inside of my nose with rubbing alcohol. While that was also disgusting, it felt good to clear my nose. After a few weeks of my nose healing, I went back to Dr. Janjua who pulled the packing out of my nose. When I say there were plastic sheets about four inches long inside each side of my nose, I am not joking. That was the worst pain I’ve ever felt but once both plastic sheets were out, I could breathe out of both sides of my nose.

I went home and ate food that had a taste for the first time in weeks. I continued to clean the inside of my nose and treated it gently. Breathing was an entirely new experience and so was smelling, oddly enough. It was truly a life-changing surgery and I’m so glad I got it done despite the initial phases.

Practice & staff rating

• 5/5 -
    Ease of scheduling an appointment
  • 5/5 -
    Office environment, cleanliness, comfort...
  • 5/5 -
    Staff friendliness and courteousness

Overall experience rating

• 5/5 -
    Level of trust in provider's decisions
  • 5/5 -
    How well provider explained procedure(s)
  • 5/5 -
    How well provider listens to and answers questions
  • 5/5 -
    Amount of time provider spent with you

Tags:deviated septum