What are the different types of neck lift procedures?
I was reading that a "neck lift" is actually any procedure performed on the neck?? What types of neck lifts are there and what are the differences?
When I went in for a neck lift I chose Z-plasty. This is the procedure that a surgeon cuts a “Z” shape into your neck and removes excess skin. But I definitely had a lot of skin to get rid of.
There are other types of neck lifts, though. One is platysmaplasty, which is the main type of neck lift surgery you are probably referring to. It is when they make a small incision underneath your chin and tighten up the platysma muscles that are located between your collar bones and chin, on both sides.
You may have also heard about neck liposuction, although this isn’t really a neck lift. It is when they use liposuction to take out any extra fat that you have under your chin. It doesn’t help if you have extra skin, though.
Though there are many procedures to choose from, there is ultimately one goal; to make the neck look toned and give the face a more youthful appearance. Here is a list of common neck lift procedures and their differences:
- Liposuction: Only removes excess fat.
- Laser-Assisted Liposuction: Destroys only fat cells with a CO2laser.
- Cervicoplasty: Removes both excess skin and fat.
- Platysmaplasty: Lifts sagging skin by tightening the platysma, which is the band of neck muscles.
- Minimal Incision Neck Lift: Tightens muscles and removes excess fat.
- Direct Neck Lift: Removes excess skin. This procedure is commonly used on male patients.
- Lower Facelift: Removes wrinkles and sagging skin from the jowl line, as well as tightens skin around the mouth.
- Chin Implant: Balances the appearance of the face by adjusting chin size.
Many different factors determine which type of procedure you will need and your plastic surgeon will have the best info on which is best for you. Your gender, your age, and your face shape are just a few of the factors that will come into play with plastic surgery. Oftentimes, many procedures are combined to give you the results you want.
When I was getting my neck lift done, my doctor said that a neck lift is really any set of procedures done to the jawline or neck area to improve the appearance of the skin and combat any loose skin or double chin effect. I was also given the option of either general anesthesia or local anesthesia in office, which I think will also be based on the specific type and amount of work you get done. So you will have to talk to your doctor to see what set of procedures they will want to do for the specific issues you want fixed.
I had a bit of a turkey neck and I was starting to get a double chin, so my doctor removed some skin and did liposuction with some contouring. I am really happy with the results, but I definitely communicated a lot with my doctor to make sure we were both on the same page about what I wanted and what I was willing to do.