The Top 10 Things You Should Know About SmileDirectClub
1. What is SmileDirectClub?
Previously known as SmileCareClub, SmileDirectClub is an at-home tooth-alignment system that uses a series of clear orthodontic aligner trays to fix gaps, crowding or crooked teeth.
2. How Does SmileDirectClub Work?
Patients who wish to purchase SmileDirect’s aligners must do so through their website. On their site, patients can order an at-home dental impression kit or visit one of their Smile Shops for a scan of their teeth. From there, a patient’s teeth are analyzed by a dental professional and a treatment plan is charted. The patients then receive the cost and 3D images of the evolution their teeth will go through during their treatment. The first set of a series of clear aligners arrives by mail. The patient must wear these aligners for the majority of each day, only removing them when eating or to clean them. On occasion, patients with complex alignment issues may be required to visit a local SmileDirectClub provider in their area.
3. How Much Does SmileDirectClub Cost?
- Evaluation Cost: $95 for a visit to a Smile Shop or to receive an at-home evaluation kit (dental molds).
- Treatment Cost: $1,850 or $2,280, depending on the payment plan you choose (see below).
- Payment Options: You can pay for your SmileDirect treatment with a one-time payment of $1,850 or 24 monthly payments of $95 (or less, depending on the number of aligners you require). You can pay for your treatment on a credit card or by check.
- Discounts: Many customers have reported finding coupons for their evaluation kits online. SmileDirectClub also runs promotions on their aligners from time-to-time.
4. Does Dental Insurance Cover the Cost of SmileDirectClub?
Depending on the dental insurance carrier and plan you have, you may be reimbursed for a portion of your SmileDirectClub treatment. You can visit SmileDirectClub’s website to find out how much of your treatment your dental insurance carrier will cover.
5. You Do Not Need to Visit a Dentist or Orthodontist During Your Treatment
SmileDirectClub is designed to be an at-home dental treatment. You will receive all of your aligners through the mail and do not need to meet with a local dentist or orthodontist to be evaluated or receive your new aligners. If your alignment issues are more complex, you may be required to visit a local SmileDirect provider for an in-person analysis.
6. How Long Will My SmileDirectClub Treatment Last?
Most patients wear their aligners for 3 to 10 months. The duration of your treatment will depend on the severity of your crooked or gapped teeth.
7. Who Manufactuers SmileDirectClub’s Aligners?
The clear aligners used by SmileDirectClub are made by Align Technology, a medical device company headquarted in San Jose, CA. Align Technology also manufacturers Invisalign’s aligners. SmileDirectClub is registered with the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a repackager, meaning they distribute the aligners but do not manufacturer them. The aligners are made of clear BPA-free plastic and are designed to be irritation-free.
8. Will SmileDirectClub Work With Dental Implants?
SmileDirectClub will not work with dental implants. Dental implants are typically screwed in to the bone that hold a person’s teeth in place and will not move under force. If you have dental implants and are interested in straightening your teeth, please see a dental professional to figure out an alternative treatment method.
9. Does SmileDirectClub Offer Refunds?
If during your dental evaluation, it is determined that you are not a good candidate for SmileDirect’s aligners, your evaluation fee of $95 will be refunded.
10. How Soon After My Wisdom Teeth Are Removed Can I Start Invisalign?
Patients are typically required to wait at least 6 weeks after their wisdom teeth are removed before starting their SmileDirect treatment.
Considering SmileDirectClub? Read real experiences from patients who have used SmileDirectClub.